seriously quick gift idea

>> Saturday, December 20, 2008

If you are here to see my EtsyInspired post, its up, it's ust the post below this one!

Ok, if you're like me you're still trying to up your ends of christmas gifting! If you are stumped, or need a gift you can make QUICK, or need a gift you can make CHEAP, here's one for you. This took me less than 3 minutes to make AND just cost a few bucks. WOOHOO!



I got my mug at the dollar store. :) And it's a good mug, thick, sturdy. It doesnt feel chincy. Of course you could get a plain mug at walmart, target, etc and it would still probably be less than 4 bucks, or you could go fancier, but there really isnt a need. :) I got my 2oz bag of coffee at Target in the dollar spot, but i've seen similar types and bags at walmart for not much more than a buck. This one is a Irish Cream coffee. I dont know if my brother-in-law drinks irish cream coffee, but he's very very irish (just look at his last name!) and he loves anything irish so it was more fitting for the gift. So we're at 2 bucks for this gift now.

I was planning on stamping on the mug, but i just couldnt get the stazon and stamps to ink smoothly. I was frustrated and was thanking my lucky stars for how well StazOn cleaner works! Being super bummed out that i couldnt get this gift to work like i wanted, i thought, well, what else could i do. I guess just give the mug plain, but that didnt seem fun. Then i remembered my massive collection of rub ons. duh! You know, those things i used before i got into stamping! So i pulled out a pack of making memories alphabet rub ons. I already owned them so no cost for me, but i remember i bought these at big lots for 2 bucks. Ok, so the big lots sticker was still on it and thats how i remembered. Still, i've seen these at the craft stores for anywhere between 4.99-9.99. There are 261 alpha letters in this pack (the smaller letter packs have even more letters!) so i barely made a dent in this pack. I'm planning on going out to get more mugs today! hehe.

The rubon part is pretty easy. And i think anyone who is reading my blog has at least heard of rubons. I mean, you just place the rubon sheet where you want the rub on and rub over it with a popsicle stick. If you actually have no idea what i'm talking about, email me and i'll give you more info! Now i do recommend that you snip away each letter so you arent dealing with the whole sheet of rub obs. It's way too easy to goof and get part of a letter on some part of your project you werent meaning to!

Now, coffee cups get handled a lot. I went an extra step from this just looking cool to spraying it with an acrylic glossy sealer. If you dont have this in our craft arsenal, you should pick one up. A little can will do ya if you arent a major altering person. But there has been many times that i've just thought, you know, i want this glossy! Or, i need to protect this somehow, and it's always a great choice. I'm still recommending the mug be handwashed just in case, but the coating should protect the letters from getting distorted.

So there you have it, super super easy and fast!!!

4 comments:

Katie Skiff Saturday, December 20, 2008  

That is very cute Katie!! I have done this before, but I didn't think about it for a gift! DUH! LOL... I like the etsy card too...very cute!

Christi Flores Saturday, December 20, 2008  

What a great gift Katie!! I love this!!

Fink Sunday, December 21, 2008  

What a great gift idea! I will have to remember the spray idea!

Jami Sunday, December 21, 2008  

Awesome little quick gift!! Great tip on the spray too!!
hugs, Jami

Post a Comment

Thank you SO very much for taking the time in your busy schedule to leave a comment! It just makes my day!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Top Blog Sites

Blog Archive

Listen to makeupartistkaties playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP