I lava you!

>> Thursday, January 7, 2010



Morning everyone! Today I have a card for you that i made for my hubby's birthday.
As i mentioned last week with my Unity Candle, I'm extremely lucky that my hubby loves my handmade cards and gifts. And i think he's being honest when he tells me that! haha!

Making any card for a male, i think can be really tricky. And to me "love" cards are the hardest! Now granted this card was for his birthday so i could have gotten away with a more normal masculine card and saved the lovey dovey one for valentines but oh well. I completely and totally LOVE valentine's day! I just couldnt help but start playing with some more "valentine's day" ish stamps.

Which brings me to my card... a not too terribly mushy image (but it's still GUSHY.. hehe)




See, i told you it was GUSHY! Ok, maybe i watch Max and Ruby too much! Haha! Anyone who has perma Noggin/Nick Jr on their tv totally knows what i'm talking about!

This image and sentiment are from Paper Makeup Stamps Dino Essentials set. This set actually has quite a few sentiments that would be PERFECT for a little boys valentine's! In fact, i think it may be what i use for Jack's school valentine's this year! That boy is certainly obsessed with dinosaurs, so it would be fitting! The set does have a few stand alone images, like this volcano, some dino bones and a quirky prehistoric plant (if you were wondering what in the world that 3rd image was! haha!)

To keep my card at least somewhat in a birthday state of mind and not total valentines, i use the cuttlebug birthday embossing folder. Here's an angled view, you can see it a bit better.



My husband is completely amazed by texture on a card. He's always like, how in the world did you make it do that? I try to explain it's really easy with the cuttlebug but thats when his eyes kinda glaze over. He just liked the product, not knowing how it comes together! haha!

So to give it some more pop, i cut out the volcano and sentiment with spellbinder nestabilities. And then embossed them (and also colored into the nestie to make the embossing stand out a little bit more). And my 1 last final step to make things stand out a little bit was to emboss all the edges of cardstock with a cat's eye chalk ink. These bad boys are still my go to for that somewhat distressed look!

So thats my card! And for those of you that dont like to read my wordy posts... here's


Stamps:
Paper Makeup Stamps, Dino Essentials

Coloring:
Copic Markers with Memento Tuxedo Black Ink
Volcano: W3, W5, W7
Lava: R24, R29, R59
Smoke: W1, W3 and a wee bit W5
Grass: YG63, YG67
Sky: B000

Paper:
Cardstock: Smokey Gray (PTI), Solar White (Neenah), Real Red (SU), Gray (Bazzill), Sea Salt (Bazzill)

Tools and Accessories:
Spellbinders Nestabilities: Standard Circle, Double Ended Tags
Cuttlebug Embossing Folder: Birthday
Cat's Eye Chalk Ink: BlackBird
Copic Airbrushing Machine
American Crafts Brads: Cranberry


Thanks for stopping by today!!!

6 comments:

Tracey Thursday, January 07, 2010  

This is fabulous Katie! I also find cards for men tough! xx

Denise Thursday, January 07, 2010  

Very clever Katie, I Love it!
Mauna Kea or Mauna Loa? LOL
Aloha & Hugs,
Denise

Stampin Mindy Thursday, January 07, 2010  

Your So funny KAtie, I watch MAx and Ruby too much too :P Great card love the embosssing and the colors!

Christine Riley Thursday, January 07, 2010  

Too cute! Love the sentiment and matching image, it's adorable :)
Hugs, Christine :)

MarkerGeek Thursday, January 07, 2010  

This is awesome, Katie, I lava it! ;)

FibreJunky Friday, January 08, 2010  

Ha! I like wordy posts...I must, because that's how I write 'em! Funny how some people just get that glazed look. Nick is still on a lot here, but Disney is squeaking it out.
*hugs*

Post a Comment

Thank you SO very much for taking the time in your busy schedule to leave a comment! It just makes my day!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Top Blog Sites

Blog Archive

Listen to makeupartistkaties playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP