Just Us Girls Chalkboard Challenge

>> Tuesday, December 15, 2009


This week's challenge over on the Just Us Girls challenge blog was a technique challenge!
It looks like so much fun i just HAD to try it out! For some reason, i love chalks. I own a whoel drawer full! Maybe it's because they look like eyeshadows to me! hahahah! Sadly though, i rarely break them out. Especially since i've been doing less scrapbooking and working with diecuts and more and more coloring.

Still, the "chalkboard" technique was not even one i had ever heard of! Now i've colored an image using chalks and versamark ink... but not white ink on dark paper. The whole idea was very very fun to me! You can check out all the details on how to do this on the Splitcoast site. The queen of techniques, Beate, has done a fab job on a tutorial for this! Check it out HERE!

And now, onto my card!



I opted to not use black cardstock for a true chalkboard effect and used brown. Even beate did this so i know it's "ok". hahaha! I stamped my flower image (from Paper Makeup Stamps friendly flowers) in white ink on brown cardstock and then used shimmery chalks to color it. I did not wait for my ink to dry. I did the same for my sentiment (also from PMS). I then used my um... fudgadoodle i forget their name, but a set of word windowish nestabilities to cut out my senitment! hahaha. I used the largest die (it comes in a pack with 3 dies) I still wanted this to stand out. And i couldnt just make a mat for it. Well i could, but I would have had to handcut it. Thats when i got the idea to use my new loop punch from martha stewart. This is the corner version. Instead of putting the cardstock snug in the corner, i put a rectangle piece of cardstock in so that i was chopping off the whole end. Cardstock was an inch wide. Then i trimmed away the excess to get the shape you see here. Here is a close up detail shot of the punch out.

11 comments:

Rachel Tuesday, December 15, 2009  

we did this in stamp camp one year... i thought you were there!!!

AKiteFlier Tuesday, December 15, 2009  

Katie!!!!! I love this, especially the tag effect and the awesome word for that THINGY LOL - what a great and clever way to "mat" the sentiment. Beautiful flower and YES it's OK to use brown! I did that too with Beate's blessing *grin* Thanks so much for playing along with Just Us Girls. You rock Katie.

Danni Tuesday, December 15, 2009  

This is so nice. I haven't tried this technique yet...
Great job!

Mona Pendleton Tuesday, December 15, 2009  

Wow Katie! Your chalboard technique card looks so soft & feminine. The lavender & green looks so pretty on the brown cs. Thanks so much for playing along with Just Us Girls - I hope you return Saturday for an all new challenge!

Andrea M Tuesday, December 15, 2009  

This is super pretty! Love the delicate flower - you rocked the challenge! Great job!

Shaela Tuesday, December 15, 2009  

I LOVE that loo of light on dark! I will have to check out the tutorial. :)

Christi Flores Wednesday, December 16, 2009  

This is gorgeous!! I also love your new blog look! Very chic!

Dana Gustafson Wednesday, December 16, 2009  

Hey Miss Katie! THis is LOVELY! I really like the graceful vine on on chocolate cardstock and fabbie tips for the sentiment label die and MS corner punch! THanks so much for playing with Just Us Girls this week!

Sue Lelli Wednesday, December 16, 2009  

LOVE the stamping on brown - did that for Card #2 - but I didn't ask permission! Oh, well! LOVE the Martha Stewart loop for the mat. Very clever!

Kristin Eberline Thursday, December 17, 2009  

Ahhh...KATIE!!! What a BEAUTIFUL card! LOVE the fudgadoodle Nesties you used for your label and your main image turned out so elegant and soft! Your color palette is gorgeous and I adore the simple staging...it's just perfect for your card ♥

Soooo glad you could play along with Just Us Girls this week! I know you are one BUSY lady! Hope to see you again soon ;]

computer accessories Thursday, December 31, 2009  

It's "Just Us Girls" here so can we dish a little about templates? Do you love them? Have you never tried them? Are you looking for something new to add to your template stash? Templates are a wonderful jumping off point to your paper crafting projects. From gift boxes, bags, party favors and ornaments... templates can really give your creativity a boost.

Post a Comment

Thank you SO very much for taking the time in your busy schedule to leave a comment! It just makes my day!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Top Blog Sites

Blog Archive

Listen to makeupartistkaties playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP